POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another first post [1/1] : Re: Another first post [1/1] Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:19:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another first post [1/1]
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 11 Jul 2005 22:00:01
Message: <web.42d322fa811cc7c3ad93754b0@news.povray.org>
Alex <pov### [at] lazysodorguk> wrote:
> This may be my first post, but it isn't my first image. I've been using
> PovRay sporadically since I found version 2 on a magazine cover disc
> (I've still got a 100 sheet dot matrix printout of the entire manual!).

And I still have a dot-matrix printout of the manual for DKB 2.12 for Amiga.
:)

> Currently unemployed, I decided to have another crack at doing Penrose
> tiles, the hard way. After a week I gave up and did them the easy way :)

They can be tricky! :) What technique did you use? Here's one I posted back
in April:  <web.425b6e5da45a985aad93754b0@news.povray.org>

I first started using Penrose macros from Boxer by John VanSickle, but I
ended up making up my own macros. I can post the sources if anyone's
interested.

> I also wanted to create some more Geomag models. Geomag consist of 27mm
> long magnetic rods, and half inch diameter steel ball bearings. I
> originally modelled it 2 or 3 years ago, based on a set I bought as a
> present for my sister. Since then I've bought a load for myself, which
> has a new rod design, and different colours. The shapes here are very
> simple, I have built shapes with up to 540 rods and weighing over 3Kg
> (As soon as I'm earning again I must go buy some more...).

They lok like fun, but a bit pricey for what you get. FWIW, you can get very
powerful magnets out of dead hard drives.

> I thought I could call Penrose tiling a chequered plane and combine that
> with the reflective spheres of the Geomag, and present it here as a
> first post.

It looks fine to me.

> Rendered on an AMD Athlon XP 1800, 768Mb ram, at 2560x1920 overnight.
> Uses blurred reflections, area lights and radiosity, although the latter
> doesn't really show. JPEG compression has done strange things to the
> magenta piece.

I normally try to use JPEG quality of 90% for pics I post here, and a little
smoothing to hide artifacts, but sometimes using .png is the only way to
show the true quality of an image.

Anyway, here's a close-up of an earlier Penrose tiling I did. We seem to
have chosen similar colour schemes.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'penrosem0.jpg' (75 KB)